Surgical procedures of any kind carry some of the other risk factors, particularly if a patient is suffering from other medical problems such as obesity, hypertension, etc. Our team has been trained to make sure such risks are minimised and the treatment is carried out safely. However, some immediate com-plications that a patient might experience include:
Sometimes despite strict precautions, infection can occur. Superficial infection may occur at the wound site. If a deep infection develops most of the times THR implants need to be removed with subsequent revision surgery after healing of infection.
At Nanavati Max Super Speciality Hospital we have
- Specially dedicated joint replacement operation theatre.
- Vertically oriented sterile laminar air circulation unit in the surgical zone.
- For every joint replacement surgery, the surgical team wears sterile space-suit so even breath-ing air from surgeon and assistant do not contaminate surgical field.
- Daily disinfection of OT.
- Specialised infection prevention protocol for all joint replacement surgeries.
>Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT):
Despite taking precautions to prevent blood clot (thrombosis) formation in the veins of the leg post-surgery remains a common risk after knee replacement surgery. Rarely, these clots can dislodge and travel through the heart to the lungs. This is known as pulmonary embolism which can cause serious complications in rare cases.
At Nanavati Max Super Speciality Hospital we take special steps to avoid DVT
- Preoperative workup
- The faster and minimal surgical approach
- Immediate mobilization and walking on the day of surgery for unilateral or single-stage bilateral THR
- DVT stockings and pump
- DVT prevention Medications
>Aseptic Loosening of the Prosthesis
(without infection): It is caused by the weakening of the bond between the new joint and the bone. Although it is expected that the new knee will last for many years, it can become loose earlier than anticipated, particularly if the patient is grossly overweight, if he/she returns to a hectic work schedule early or patient’s joint damage by accidental falling.Loosening of the
It is a treatable risk factor which involves replacement of loosened prosthesis with new implants. It is common to see knee replacements lasting more than 30 years. At Nanavati Max Super Speciality Hospital we follow most modern technologies for joint replacement surgery protocol with post-surgery management to improve bone quality.
Persistent Pain: The operation may not relieve a patient of all the pain, and he or she may continue to experience some mild discomfort. The most common of all is complex regional pain syndrome, swelling, stiffness and skin changes. Other recognised risks of knee surgery include bone fractures, bruising, and urinary retention.