Living with allergies and asthma can be irritating and may lead to discomfort. We at the unit help you overcome these problems and offer complete care, which involves:
- Understanding your medical condition
- Recognising the patient’s signs and symptoms
- Learning about triggers causing asthma and how to avoid them
- Comprehensive treatment
Patients experiencing asthma and allergy have to undergo some diagnostic tests which include a skin prick test, blood tests, spirometry test, peak flow tests, and lung function tests to check for allergies. According to these diagnostic results, a doctor will evaluate a patient’s condition and design an effective treatment plan. Some major asthma & allergy treatment in Mumbai treatment options we offer at the unit include:
A doctor may prescribe you medication that can effectively treat your condition. These include:
- Short-acting inhalers (helps in opening airways for a shorter period)
- Long-acting inhalers (helps in opening airways for a longer period)
- Leukotriene modifiers Montelukast
- Corticosteroids in the form of an inhaler
However, in addition to this, your doctor may prescribe other medications that will help in reducing the response of the body, when exposed to allergens.
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy): It is an advanced therapy that helps in reducing your immune system's response to certain allergy triggers. During the treatment, a patient is given a regular injection of a tiny amount of the allergens that trigger your symptoms. Over time, your immune system develops a tolerance against it and your allergic reaction diminishes.
Anti-immunoglobulin E (IgE) therapy: When you are prone to a certain allergic reaction, then your immune system mistakenly identifies some specific substance as harmful and tends to release antibodies known as IgE against the culprit allergen. However, to interfere with the IgE your doctor may provide Anti-immunoglobulin E (IgE) therapy in the form of medication such as omalizumab, that interferes with IgE and helps prevent the allergic reaction.