There are many risk factors of throat cancer which may indicate the risk but may not be the real cause sometimes. Certain lifestyle changes increase the risk of this problem. Throat cancer causes include:
- Smoking: It is the most dangerous cause of throat cancer. It can also affect head, lungs or neck.
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption: People consuming more than one drink everyday are at a high risk of getting throat cancer.
- Poor Nutrition: The immunity of the person decreases when the diet lacks fruits and vegetables, thus increasing the risk of throat cancer. Usually, heavy drinkers have vitamin deficiency. Proper diet and nutrition can reduce the risk of the disease to a greater extent.
- Gastro esophageal reflux Disease: A condition wherein the stomach’s acid leaks back into the food pipe.
- Epstein-Barr Virus: It is a common virus found in saliva
- Exposure to toxic substances like asbestos
- Human papillomavirus infection: It is a sexually transmitted virus
- Genetic Syndromes and Gender: Men are more prone to throat cancer than women. This may be due to the fact that factors like smoking, drinking is more common in men than women. However, the statistics are dramatically changing.