Minimally invasive spine surgery is conducted on the bones of your spine. Smaller incisions are used as compared to a standard surgery which thus helps in causing less harm to the nearby muscles or tissues. It also reduces the amount of pain caused and speeds up the recovery process. There are specialized instruments and techniques used in this procedure to minimize the amount of disruption which might otherwise be caused to the body tissues. If you want to know more about minimally invasive spine procedures, you can consult with the best spine surgery doctors in Mumbai for all your spine related problems.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Procedures:
- Least requirement of cutting of the muscles and the soft tissues
- Leaves smaller scars as it uses smaller incisions
- The patients stay in the hospital is reduced post-surgery
- The recovery time is also comparatively very less than the Standard surgery
- The patient can return to normal activities quite soon
- The risks of infections are also reduced
- The patient will require very few pain medications as the amount of pain and discomfort will be reduced to a great extent
A lot of people suffer from spine-related problems because of their lifestyles and daily habits. But the best thing is if you are in India, you can get the consultation from the best doctor in Mumbai for your treatment.
MIS spinal procedures require tools and instruments to pass through the retractors in order to reach the spine. In minimally invasive surgeries surgeons do not have the same view as the open procedures because the procedure is performed through such small openings. Here we have mentioned a few tools which are used by the surgeons for viewing the organs while performing the MIS procedure:
- Microscopy: A surgical microscope that is placed over a retractor provides the surgeon with a highly magnified, brightly illuminated view of the surgical area.
- Fluoroscopy: X-ray images in real-time are produced by using the technique of fluoroscopy like video x-rays. The surgeon can view the images on the screen when they are projected.
- Navigation: The surgeon can position real-time instruments /implants into the body through the technique of navigation which minimizes radiation exposure as compared to C-arm or X-Rays.
Minimally invasive surgery procedure includes the following:
- Image-Guided Surgery: A procedure in which special cameras are used in the tracking of instruments very precisely like a GPS.
- Vertebroplasty: In this procedure, osteoporotic compression fractures are treated.
- Microdecompression / laminectomy: In this procedure, a bone that makes up part of the vertebra in the lumbar spine (lower back) called the lamina is removed.
- Lumbar microdiscectomy: In this procedure, a microscope and microsurgical tool are used by the surgeon for removing a part of a spinal disc in the lumbar spine.
- Percutaneous pedicle fixation: In this metal rod and screws are placed in sturdy sections of vertebrae called the pedicles.
- Transforaminal interbody lumbar fusion (TLIF): In this procedure, a damaged disc is removed by the surgeon and a new bone is placed in the available space.
Thus to wrap up minimally invasive spine surgeries will be the best option if the other treatment options are not working. The only thing that matters is the treatment center that you are choosing. You should opt for Nanavati Max Super Speciality Hospital if you are staying in Mumbai or anywhere in India as it is the best hospital in Mumbai for all your spine related problems.