PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome is a common hormonal syndrome that is experienced by women of reproductive age. It is associated with different types of symptoms; however, the most common ones are irregular periods, Difficulty in losing weight, and the presence of excessive male hormones leading to acne, hair fall, and an increase in facial hair. PCOS is also one of the primary reasons for infertility in women. Since numerous (poly) cysts are formed in the ovaries, hence it is known as a polycystic ovarian syndrome. PCOS is a chronic condition that lingers throughout reproductive life. the best Gynaecologist in Mumbai explains that lifestyle management, exercise, and medications help cope with the symptoms.
What causes PCOS?
Although the exact cause of PCOS is not known, however many attribute PCOS to a genetic disorder, co-existing thyroid imbalance, severe sudden stress, and sudden weight gain. Excessive exercising can also cause PCOS.
Gynecology Specialists in Mumbai say that in PCOS women, the ovaries form multiple cysts, which secrete an excessive male hormone which in turn causes an imbalance in hormones, and hence irregularity in periods, acne, weight gain, and difficulty in conception.
Here are some of the common PCOS symptoms that every woman should know:
1. Although the menstrual cycle may be normal at the onset, however, it may become irregular.
2. Since PCOS directly affects ovulation (the eggs are turned into cysts before they are matured and released) women suffering from PCOS may face infertility or difficulty in conception. Many times recurrent abortions can also be due to PCOS.
3. Hirsutism is common. When hair growth follows a male pattern due to excessive secretion of male hormone. Thick and darkly pigmented hair growth is seen in the upper lips, chin, around nipples, and lower abdomen, and excessive thinning of hair on the scalp.
4. Excessive male hormone also leads to acne, especially along the jaw lines.
5. Male pattern balding is also noticed in many women suffering from PCOS.
6. Other common symptoms of PCOS include insulin resistance, obesity, weight gain, and High blood pressure in long run leading to Metabolic Syndrome.
7. Insulin resistance and a rise in insulin level in blood level are one of the primary symptoms in most PCOS women.
8. Having an abnormal blood lipid is also common in PCOS women.
9. Women suffering from PCOS are more predisposed to developing type 2 diabetes.
10. Although not scientifically established, PCOS women are at the risk of developing coronary heart disease because of elevated level of C-reactive protein, elevated cholesterol and LDL level.
11. Hair loss is another commonly seen symptom in women with PCOS.
Prevention and treatment of PCOS
If you’re planning for pregnancy for some time without being successful, PCOS could be a reason. Check with your gynecologist to rule out PCOS. Even if you are diagnosed with PCOS, you shouldn’t feel low. Ovulation can be achieved with moderate weight loss, lifestyle change, oral medications, and minor surgeries. Since the cause of PCOS is not known, there is no way one can prevent PCOS.
Are you too suffering from one or few of these symptoms? If yes, then a thorough gynecological check-up will help you to understand if you have an underlying condition of PCOS. Nanavati Max Super Specialty Hospital has the best gynaecology centre in Mumbai. If you are looking for best gynaecologist in Mumbai, then Nanavati Max Super Specialty Hospital offers the best treatment for PCOS.
You will be in safe hands with the gynecology specialist in Mumbai at Nanavati Max.
Dr. Suruchi Desai (Sr Consultant - Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
Dr. Suruchi Desai is a Senior Consultant, in Obstetrics & Gynaecology with an experience of over 23 years. She has completed her DGO and DNB from LTMMC, Sion, and FCPS - Mid. & Gynae from College of physicians and Surgeons Mumbai. Dr. Suruchi Desai specializes in High-Risk Obstetric surgeries and Reproductive Endocrinologists (Infertility).